WordPress sites send emails most of the time. A confirmation email or receipt is a vital part of the e-commerce process. In addition, membership confirmation emails are essential if you run a membership site.
Often, WordPress’ default email configuration is not the best option when it comes to sending emails. The default PHP mailer has a recurring problem with WordPress emails not being delivered. It is also possible to work around this problem by utilizing an SMTP service for your emails.
SMTP services such as Amazon SES assure reliable delivery of email. Furthermore, if your WordPress website sends a lot of emails – say 100K or more – Amazon SES will save you money as it is only $1 for 10,000 emails.
For WordPress emails to be sent using Amazon SES, an SMTP plugin must be used instead of WordPress’ default email sending method. You will need to configure the service in a specific manner, so if you are not sure how to do that, this article will help you with that.
Introduction to AmazonSES
Amazon SES (Simple Email Service) is an email marketing, transaction, and notification service provided by Amazon. It is suitable for both small and large businesses because of its low cost and dependability.
Get exclusive access to all things tech-savvy, and be the first to receive
the latest updates directly in your inbox.
With the use of the SMTP Interface and Amazon SDK, Amazon SES may be immediately incorporated into an existing application. Email sending features, such as ticketing systems and email clients, can also be added to Amazon SES.
There are no upfront costs or minimum obligations with Amazon SES. You only pay for what you use, and you only pay for what you use.
Introduction to FluentSMTP
FluentSMTP is a powerful WP SMTP Plugin that connects to your email provider and ensures that your emails are delivered correctly. FluentSMTP ensures that your WordPress emails are delivered safely and swiftly. WordPress mail is associated with the client’s Email Service Provider through FluentSMTP.
These integrations are local, resulting in extremely fast email delivery.
1. High ability to deliver emails to subscribers’ inboxes:
Protect and improve your sender name with content screening technologies, dedicated IP addresses, and a named dashboard. Maintaining a good reputation guarantees that your emails arrive in the inboxes of your customers.
Pay as you go, and only pay for the services you use. There are no upfront costs, lengthy price negotiations, rising bills, or minimum charges. Furthermore, if you send from an Amazon EC2-hosted associate application, the first 62,000 emails you send each month are free.
Make rules for the emails you send using Amazon SES by utilizing configuration sets. Send email metrics to Amazon CloudWatch for further analysis, or subscribe to Amazon SNS for notifications.
Amazon SES is based on the Amazon Internet Services Infrastructure, which is exceptionally dependable. The greatest levels of availability are ensured by multiple data centres and redundant systems.
5. Sending Transaction Messages
Amazon SES sends out automatic emails to their customers that include order confirmation, shipment notifications, and policy change reminders.
6. Sending Marketing Communications
AWS SES is an excellent tool for distributing advertisements, newsletters, special offers, and other high-quality information.
7. Sending Marketing Communications
AWS SES is a great tool for sending out adverts, newsletters, special offers, and other high-quality content.
8. Sending and receiving e-mails
By closing the loop on the email application, emails can be received with the help of Amazon SES. When notifications come, AWS Lambda can be used to run custom code. The queued emails will be delivered to an Amazon S3 bucket.
Advantages of FluentSMTP
- Allows you to send emails using a variety of SMTP service providers in an appealing manner. Gmail, Amazon SES, Mailgun, Sendgrid, Sendinblue, Sparkpost, and Pepipost are among the major services that have built-in functionality. It can also send emails using any other SMTP service.
- Email delivery is guaranteed using SMTP, avoiding the hosting server’s and hosting service provider’s limits, limitations, and weaknesses.
- Use SSL and TLS encryption to ensure safe email delivery.
- There has been a lot of logging. You’ll be able to keep track of every email you send, read sent emails if necessary, and generate detailed reports.
- API interaction with email service providers has been improved.
- Support for Amazon SES for your emails.
- Email delivery in real time. Fluent SMTP will handle real-time email delivery while keeping performance at a high level.
- Email routing based on conditions. Fluent SMTP allows you to route emails through many email sending services at the same time based on the constraints you choose.
- Re-sending of emails is possible. Emails may fail to arrive in some rare circumstances due to SMTP failures or other connectivity concerns. You can resend the emails at any moment with FluentSMTP. If necessary, you can also resend successfully delivered emails.
- Background processing for bulk email sending, resulting in minimized resource use for the rest of the website’s functionality to run smoothly.
- Multiple connections with different email service providers can be added.
- Notifications that appear on a regular basis. The site administrator will be notified daily or weekly about email delivery statistics, deliverability, and sending issues, as well as the opportunity to view which emails are being broadcasted.
How to send emails from WordPress using Amazon SES and FluentSMTP?
- Setup a WordPress site using the domain you bought.
- Open your aws.amazon.com console
- Search for SES in the search panel
- Click on “Create Identity”
- Enter your domain name
- Identity type → Domain
- select the “Custom Mail From domain”
- Mail From domain → You can type in anything i.e. “Mail”
- Scroll down and click on “Create Identity”
- Amazon will give you DNS records on this page. We need to copy these to paste them on our CloudFlare site
- Add CNAME. MX, TXT type records in CloudFlare
- Once you add all of these records, click on “Verified identities” from the left hand-side menu in aws.amazon.com. You will see that your domain is now verified.
- Once this is done, we can send emails through this domain.
- Go to your site’s dashboard
- Plugin → add new , from the left hand-side menu
- Search for FluentSMTP plugin
- Install and activate
- Click on “Configure FluentSMTP”
- Click on “AmazonSES” from the list of Connection Provider
- Enter “From Email”. It should be from the domain that you have just verified i.e. [email protected]
- “From Name” can be anything
- Select “Force From Email”
- Select “Force Sender Name”
- Now, we need Access key and Secret key
- Enter the same region as of Amazon AWS site’s
- To get Access/Secret key, Go to your console at aws.amazon.com
- Click on your profile from the upper right corner
- Click on “Security Credentials”
Select “Users” from the left hand-side menu
- Click on “add new user”
- User name → Enter any name that you want i.e. your site’s title
Select “Access key”
- Click on “Go to permission”
- Click on “Attach existing policies directly”
- Search and select “AmazonSESFullAccess” and “AmazonSNSFullAccess”
- Click on “Next” to reviews
- Review and make sure you have “AmazonSESFullAccess” and “AmazonSNSFullAccess”
- Click on “Create User”
- You are given access key and secret access key
- Copy these to your site’s dashboard
- Click on “Save settings”. AmazonSES is successfully configured.
- Click on “Email Test”
- “From” will be the one that we entered before
- “Send to” will be any email you want
- Click on “Send Email”
- Email is sent successfully
- Click on “Email Logs”. AmazonSES also provide Email logs where you can checkout all the emails that you have send.
WordPress emails are sent using Amazon SES, which is a fairly complex process. The good service and reliability of Amazon make the effort worthwhile. FluentSMTP and Amazon SES combine to provide high delivery rates and minimal issues for sending emails.